Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to the following Questions are listed below:


 Question & Answers

QUESTION: What are the MAAO week long courses?
MAAO sponsors six 30-hour courses as follows:

Assessment Laws and Procedures 

MAAO Appraisal Principles

MAAO Appraisal Procedures

MAAO Basic Income Approach

MAAO Mass Appraisal Basics 

Minnesota Assessment Administration 

Please refer to the list of current Educational Offerings to see when and where each course will be offered in the future. The location and number of offerings of each course varies based on need.  If you are interested in sponsoring a course in your area, please contact, Education Coordinator, Jackie Coulter, [email protected]

A variety of IAAO courses will be offered based on demand. IAAO 102 - Income Approach to Valuation is offered each year. 

All of these courses are twenty-eight in length plus an exam and have been approved for a total of 30 hours of continuing education by the Minnesota Board of Assessors.

MAAO Appraisal Principles, MAAO Appraisal Procedures, MAAO Basic Income Approach, MAAO Mass Appraisal Basics, and IAAO 102 Income Approach to Valuation have been approved by the Department of Commerce for 30 hours of appraiser continuing education.  The final exam is required to receive the 30 hours of appraiser continuing education.


QUESTION: When and how do I register for a course?
The Week Long Course Coordinators set dates and locations for our annual offerings as early as possible so attendees can arrange their budgets and schedules. Registration is available on the MAAO web site and instructions are included. Payment, cancellation, refund information, course schedules, course requirements and lodging information are also available on the website for each course.


QUESTION: When will I get my exam results?
Exam results will be sent via email to the registrant at the email address provided on the registration form.  The results are sent to the registrant, typically within 30 days of the final examination. Do not contact the instructor, the exam results will not be provided over the phone and will be supplied only to the registrant. Results are pass/fail only. Individual scores are not provided. Seventy percent is the minimum passing score, except for the 15-Hour USPAP exam which varies from year to year. For IAAO courses, results are mailed from IAAO to the recipient within four to six weeks.


QUESTION: If I fail the final exam can I re-test?
An attendee is allowed to re-test the final exam one time. The attendee should contact the Education Coordinator to arrange for the re-test. The re-test must be within 90 days of the course and the re-exam fee is $50.00 for members. Application for the re-exam is available on the MAAO website. For IAAO re-exams, an application for the special examination (re-examination) is included with the exam results.  The re-exam fee is $130 and must be taken within 12 months of the original exam date. 


QUESTION: Can I challenge a week long course?
Yes, you can challenge any of the MAAO week long courses final exams with the exception of Assessment Laws and Procedures with Ethics, MN Assessment Administration and USPAP courses. The fee is $150.00 and you can apply online through the MAAO website. Times and locations for course challenges should be arranged with one of the approved proctors. Course materials are also available for purchase, and can be ordered through the MAAO website. No continuing education hours are given for course challenges. If an applicant fails the course challenge he/she is required to attend the course to get credit for the course.


QUESTION: Who are the approved proctors for exams?

Teresa Mitchell, Dakota County | 651-438-4216 | [email protected]
Bob Wilson, City of Edina | 952-826-0426 | [email protected]
Kyle Holmes, Carlton County | 218-384-9148 | [email protected]
Tina Diedrich-Von Eschen, Kanabec County | 320-679-6470 | [email protected]
Lorna Sandvik, Nicollet County | 507-934-7067 | [email protected]
Dan Whitman, Martin County | 507-238-3210 | [email protected]
Joe Skerik, Beltrami County | 218-333-4146 | [email protected]
Sherri Kitchenmaster, Lyon County | 507-537-6731 | [email protected]

Keith Albertsen, Douglas County | 320-762-2968 |  [email protected]



QUESTION: Who do I call or contact if I have a question regarding a week long courses?
Questions or comments about the week-long courses should be referred to MAAO Education Coordinator, Jackie Coulter, Phone: 320-761-0256, E-mail: [email protected]


QUESTION: What courses do I need to obtain an assessor’s license?
The MN State Board of Assessors website provides information about the different levels of licensure and the requirements for each level of licensure.  A visual course map can be viewed here.


QUESTION: Are scholarships available for the courses?
MAAO does provide a limited number of scholarships for the week long courses. Eligible courses are: Assessment Laws and Procedures; Appraisal Principles; Appraisal Procedures; and Mass Appraisal Basics. Information and scholarship applications are available on the MAAO web site.


QUESTION: Who maintains my records of attendance and exam scores from these courses?
Attendees are responsible for maintaining their own educational records including exam results. The Minnesota Board of Assessors and MAAO do maintain records from each of the courses also, but it is the primary responsibility of the registrants to manage their education transcripts.


QUESTION: How do I submit a recent course completion for Continuing Education credit?
The first step you will take is to check the board approved continuing education course list on the Minnesota State Board of Assessors website to see if the course/seminar has already been approved.  If the course/seminar has been approved submit your course completion certificate to the State Board of Assessors, c/o Bobbi Spencer via email at [email protected], or Fax # 651-556-5128 or mail to State Board of Assessors, c/o Bobbi Spencer, Mail Station 3340, St. Paul, MN 55146-3340.  If the course/seminar you attended or want to attend is not on the approved course list, you will need to complete the Request Form for Course Approval and send the form in along with the required documents for the board to review for approval.  You can find this form on the Minnesota State Board of Assessors website in the Additional Information tab under the Forms hyperlink.  If you have any questions contact Bobbi Spencer via email [email protected] or by phone # 651-556-6086. 


QUESTION: How can I get the 15 hour USPAP (Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice) required for the AMA level of licensure?
MAAO sponsors the 15-Hour USPAP course once a year in St. Cloud, taught by Susanne Barkalow, IFA. It is also offered through Kaplan Schools, the Appraisal Institute and McKissock Education


QUESTION: Does MAAO offer any on-line courses?
MAAO does not offer any online courses at this time. The Appraisal Institute offers 30 hours of online education for Basic Appraisal Principles, Basic Appraisal Procedures and the 15-Hour USPAP course as well as other 30 hour courses that could be used as State Board electives. McKissock Education also offers online courses. These courses must be pre-approved by the State Board. These courses also require a proctored offline exam to meet MN State Board of Assessor requirements.


QUESTION: I’ve registered for a course, when will I get the course materials and/or textbook?
The student reference manual and any requested textbook will be distributed on the first day of the course.


QUESTION: Now that I’ve passed the classes required for CMA (Certified MN Assessor), what do I do next?
Please refer to the CMA requirements and application which are located on the Minnesota State Board of Assessors website.  Once on the home page click on the Licensing tab, then on the CMA link which will bring you to the requirement and application documents. The board’s policy document addresses assessment experience, this document can found in the Related Information section on every home page on the website.  Once all of the requirements are met, an application to the State Board of Assessors with payment is required.